The seven-point platform is each a elementary and impressive checklist, starting from particular insurance policies to broad, aspirational targets:
- COVID-19 aid that “meets the dimensions of the disaster” and immediately addresses the pandemic’s disproportionate hurt to Black, Indigenous, folks of colour and “different susceptible communities”;
- Packages to place folks again to work, with a deal with shifting the financial system to wash, renewable power—but additionally restoring and increasing employee rights, together with union rights;
- Guaranteeing well being take care of all;
- Defending and increasing voting rights—together with proposals to finish gerrymandering and rein in company cash in electoral campaigns;
- Attacking institutional racism and white supremacy;
- Turning away from militarism and “infinite wars” in favor of a dedication to peaceable diplomacy;
- Rejecting company greed and ending company monopoly. […]
THREE OTHER ARTICLES WORTH READING
“The crash didn’t trigger the Despair: that was a part of a far broader malaise. What it did was expose the weaknesses that underpinned the arrogance and optimism of the Nineteen Twenties – poor distribution of earnings, a weak banking construction and inadequate rules, the financial system’s dependence on new client items, the over-extension of business and the Authorities’s blind perception that selling enterprise pursuits would make America uniformly affluent.”
~~Lucy Moore, Something Goes: A Biography of the Roaring Twenties, 2010
On this date at Day by day Kos in 2008—Rick Warren Doubles Down, Accuses Critics of Christophobia:
Rick Warren is doubling down and accusing his critics of “hate-speech” and “Christophobia.”
Rachel Maddow has the video, and takes Warren to activity for the hypocrisy of claiming that it is unfair to name his views hateful whereas concurrently accusing his critics of hate speech. Furthermore, as Rachel notes, Warren flat-out lies about his feedback evaluating homosexual marriage to pedophilia and incest.
Setting apart Warren’s position as inaugural invocation speaker (for a short second), I do not assume there’s any technique to defend what he’s now saying. I settle for the proposition that it is attainable to disagree on the problem of homosexual marriage with out calling somebody names.
However there’s actually no comparability between homosexual marriage and incest or pedophilia, and if Warren thinks they’re equal, he is both a fan of incest and pedophilia, or he has major problem with homosexual folks. And calling his critics “Christophobes” simply makes issues worse.
A easy apology from Warren for having made the comparability in all probability would have made this complete controversy go away. However now he is doubling down, and it is simply making issues worse.